Living Guide

Living Guide


The university can provide information about apartments convenient to campus. Finding an environment where you can concentrate on your studies is a very important aspect of your life away from home. You might need to share accommodations with others, so it's important to maintain a proper lifestyle.

Resident Registration

Once you decide where you will be living, you must complete registration procedures, at the municipal office in that city, town, or village within 14 days.
Furthermore, if you move, you must report your change of address to both the previous and new municipal office within 14 days.

Medical Fees for Overseas Students

Medical treatment in Japan is very expensive. National Health Insurance is compulsory for overseas students staying in Japan for more than one year. Through National Health Insurance, you can significantly reduce the cost of treatment.
Joining the National Health Insurance program is carried out at the city hall (ward office) where you reside. Please present your Residence Card at the window for National Health Insurance and fill out the form. You will then receive a National Health Insurance Card. There is a monthly fee for the National Health Insurance Program. If you present your Card when you receive medical treatment, your will receive a 70% discount on your medical fees.

Part-Time Work

Overseas students require special permission to work part-time. This is called “shikakugai katsudoh kyoka” or “Permission to Engage in an Activity Other Than That Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted”. This permission is obtained from the Immigration Office. If granted, it will allow you to work up to 28 hours a week (up to 8 hours a day during vacation).